Sunday, November 1, 2009

Book Recommendation: Mr. Mani by A.B. Yehoshua


I read Mr. Mani this fall over the past few months in between other books and I strongly recommend it. I wish I remained focused when I first started this book because I think I would have enjoyed it more.

Yehoshua explores the identity of being Jewish in Jerusalem and the sense of place through a multi-generational story spiraling backwards in time. Mr. Mani is told in a series of conversations in which only one side is heard and often the Mani family is encountered and not involved in the conversation, excepting the final chapter. The story opens in 1982 and moves back to 1848. What I loved about this book was piecing together the bits of history I learned about a prior generational of Manis in each conversation, which is why I wish I had read this book all at once. I think I could have drawn the lines better myself, but Yehoshua offers brief biographical information about the key players in each conversation as well as supplements at the conclusion to provide further insight and extend the life of the characters beyond that particular conversation.

While the conversations are fascinating, part of my struggle to read this book falls on the structure. I read a lot during my commute to and from work, which is only about 30 minutes. The conversations in Mr. Mani are at least 50 pages long and often complicated. I tended to get lost and forget small details, forcing me to re-read a page or two to reorient myself within the story. If you decide to read this book, try to do so when you will have the time to read an entire conversation. Yehoshua sees this novel as an exploration of Jewish identity, but there is plenty of family scandal and angst to keep every reader interested until the final pages.

- KER

No comments:

Post a Comment